Sports are awesome. When the athlete loses their mind during a game, that sport is even awesomer. If you’ve ever heard about the “Immaculate reception”, Muhammad Ali’s “Phantom punch” or that hockey player that nearly got his head cut off but have never seen the footage, by all means carry on. I’ve also thrown in a few gems that stick out just for random flavor. They range from famous incidents to awesome to downright disgusting to just plain cool. Click on the links for the videos
DISCLAIMER: Some of this may make you sick to your stomach (especially the Malarchuk clip).
- Randy Johnson was a lanky and incredibly hard-throwing Major League Pitcher. He has also exploded a bird…with a pitch
- Remember Evander Holyfield and Riddick Bowe? What about the guy that parachuted into the ring during their championship bout?
- George Brett losing his mind after his homerun was called an out in the famous pine-tar incident
- Keith Hackney (during the infancy of the UFC) taking the “no holds barred” approach to winning and repeatedly punching Joe Son in the nuts
- Clint Malarchuk’s throat getting run over by a hockey skate *GRAPHIC*
- Muhammad Ali knocking out Sonny Liston with the infamous “Phantom punch” – an event that is still argued today
- Lawrence Taylor snapping Joe Theisman’s leg…then calling for help (not cheering as some believe) *GRAPHIC*
- In the most recent of this list but sure to referenced for years, Kevin Ware’s leg-break in the 2013 Louisville x Duke game
- The great Julio Cesar Chavez entering the ring with a professional record of 89-0 against Frankie Randall, gets knocked down for the first time and is handed his first loss (knockdown is 7:20 of the video). BONUS: Check out JCC’s wikipedia page..his record is really amazing
- Huge men and black belts losing left and right to a then-little-known (and smaller) Royce Gracie in the first UFC, changing the way we viewed fighting
- Shaquille O’neal breaking the backboard in his rookie season…then again
- George St. Pierre losing by flying armbar by Leo Santos in a grappling competition (2005)
- The great Anderson Silva (claimed by some to be the best fighter the world has ever seen) losing by scissor takedown to heel hook…in a fight that he’s dominating
- Of course, the Pittsburgh Steeler’s immaculate reception
- The 3 poor souls that are defined by one moment…Scott Norwood, Bill Buckner and Ryan Leaf (actually, Leaf was just a total train-wreck)
- A 30-1 underdog (Buster Douglas) knocking out the seemingly invincible (and previously undefeated) Iron Mike Tyson
If you have anymore for a future part II of this list, by all means, comment and we’ll give you credit on the next one.
Categories: EVERYTHING (in no particular order)
Leave a Reply